Sunday, November 4, 2007

I'll Library Thing if I must.....

I've surrendered to computers at my library job (accent on "surrendered"), but there, I 'm one of the still extant folk who miss the grandly wood grained, old card catalogues. I know they were bulky, always needed new entries that made looking rather "tight," and sometimes not clearly readable from all the markings on repeatedly updated cards. My searching fingers, though, just "loved to do the walking." As for my home library?..... Well, I KNOW what I've got and where everything is. The mere physical presence of this quite immense collection on my own wooden shelves envelops me with comfort, even if I haven't actually read half of what's there, and I don't want their titles arranged in a foreign reality. It's probably pretty obvious that if I wanted them "catalogued" at all, I'd do it with pen in a book.

And yet ----- I do see the fascination in discovering the "Zeitgeist" lists of "the 50 lowest-rated authors" and "Authors who Library Thing"..... and the the part where you can "talk" to other book lovers is cerainly enticing. And yet ----- how worrisome that so many referred to this site as "addictive." And yet ----- the same fingers that long to once again slide over card catalogue index cards are not immune from the pull of the keyboard that takes you to an alternate universe's library. And yet -----

No comments: